Saturday, March 14, 2015

Problem of Practice


Problem of Practice:  How can I implement a flipped classroom approach to personalize learning in my own classroom?

Flipped teaching is a form of blended learning that embraces technology and increased interaction between the teacher and student.  I would like to use this approach in different areas of my classroom.  Being realistic and following in the advice of leading flipped experts I won’t attempt to remake my entire program and not all at once. I want to use the flipped classroom approach in order to increase personalized learning in my first grade classroom to extend learning, give students more control, motivate, and engage.  Also hoping this will improve student behavior, as students gain independence in thinking.

Image result for flipped classroom

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,
    I have looked a little into flipped classrooms. It is a huge step. I am glad you are thinking of doing a little at a time. I have flipped a few video lessons through TEDED, where the students watch the video and answer questions, but I don't see how something like that is student driven so maybe that is not a way to start. I am excited to work with you this class because I think we are moving in the same direction but with different ideas of the outcome. I too work with first grade and am hoping to have some student driven instruction, collaboration, risk taking, and more student engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I wonder if by using flipped through a unit of study on light and sound might open up opportunities for student driven instruction. (for me) I guess this is an ideate part! I am looking forward to hearing more from you, as I will admit... this is scary territory for me!

      Delete
  2. Tiffany, I think blended learning is a little like flipping the lesson inside the classroom. I have been experimenting with flipping some lessons this year in fifth grade. I'm not sure quite how to do it in first grade, but I have some wild and crazy ideas! I was wondering though about internet access where you are. In Udaipur my son is hampered by lack of speed and bandwidth, not to mention rolling power outages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for some ideas! My internet access is fine most days, every now and then we lose it at our hose for a few days, it's awful when that attaches to the weekend!!!! But our school has very very consistent internet service. It has been rough this week though. My iphone was lifted (I think...) and then my computer crashed!!!!!!! I got a new iphone on Monday and should have my laptop back by Wednesday this coming week.... ugh!! I've been a little stressed to say the least!! I've fallen behind in both classes I am taking, but all three professors have been fantastic! Here's to a new week!

      Delete