My key assignment is posted on Blendspace. Please visit the link below to view the paper, video, and artifacts for this project. I am excited to hear your comments.
https://www.blendspace.com/lessons/GVWPgs3mNCsPSw/ecomp-6106-spring-ii-2015-designing-curriculum-that-integrates-technology
"In the spirit of collaboration and continual renewal, peer feedback on your innovation will be offered through the comment feature in your blog."
This comment was from Megan H
ReplyDeleteThis comment was written by Megan H. The standard about grade 4 and light is what we talked about today! We started our last unit in science today and it is Properties of light. I have never heard of the app that you used. It can be used on computers and iPads? So you create videos that are lessons for the students and they choose if they want to watch the video or meet with you about the topic? I think videos are good for them to use at home and in centers. Is that an option for them? What do parents think of the flipped classroom? Could parents make the videos too?
Hi Megan,
DeleteZaption is really great I encourage you to check it out and I can get you a two month educators access as we are piloting this at my school. Zaption is available on both i-pad and ipod. As of now students have to watch the video but have the option to meet with me afterwards if there are still questions or for further insturciton. At this point students don't have the option to use at home. You just made me think that I should put the video on my netvibes site that I share with parents and students could re-watch the video! Parents haven't yet, as they haven't been encouraged to, but wouldn't it be great if in the future when students were given a video at home they could respond with their own videos!! Thanks for making me think!
-Flipped learning in a 1st grade classroom is a great goal. I often hear teachers that I work with (at a middle school) hesitate on using this model because students “don’t have enough self-motivation”. I love that are you willing to push past this and try it with such a young group of students.
ReplyDelete-John Bergmann is a great advocate for the flipped classroom. I believe that he just released a new book on how to flip a science classroom. This maybe another good resource for you since you teach all subjects in 1st grade.
-I have not head of Zaption yet, so thank you for introducing it to me. This seems very similar to Edpuzzle and EduCanon. One thing that I really like about EdPuzzle is that you can also imbed teacher created audio in the video to provide instructions or guidance for the students. Do students have to have logins for Zaption? If so, how do you handle this with your young students?
I just bought his book, but to be honest, haven't had much time to download it, but I hope it's a good read! I am really hoping that next year (as associate principal) I can use it to lead a PD session with my staff using some of his ideas to encourage technology use in the classroom!
DeleteZaption is great, All of my students have assigned emails through the school. In zaption you can add or create groups and add students that way.
Zaption Managing Groups: https://zaption.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203065195-Manage-Groups
How does Zaption work to point students to easier or harder videos? Is it fool proof? Does the quizzes on Zaption tell the students where to watch easier and more difficult videos? Since you have 1st graders, it may take several times for them to learn and possibly like the videos. This would free up your time for the one student that really needed your direction. Could that student also work with another student as a partner sometimes?
ReplyDeleteYou could incorporate higher levels of SAMR once the students need to demonstrate their learning. A video to explain their idea to other students. You also didn't mention the make space lesson that you used earlier this year, since you could use it with flipped classroom. This would be a good summary and sharing of what the student has learned. I have never flipped a class, but it makes sense to have a good closing discussion about the learning as a formative assessment especially with their age and inexperience with the flipped format. I do have a morning club with students arriving at school for 45 minutes and as they come I point out directions, but we "close" the learning with a short discussion before they leave my room each morning.
I have really appreciated your help with figuring out Blendspace and feedback on my ideas. This does make sense to start slowly and consider the lesson before you go to all flipped lesson, because that wouldn't be challenging after a while either. I didn't realize you were at an IB-PYP school. My school was IB for 5 years when I first started.
I like that you included an example of Zaption and your coogle with the Ideation. Cool to trace your steps.
Thank you for telling us about Zaption. How do you handle parent permissions for setting up your class online with apps like Zaption?
ReplyDelete- It sounds like you are flipping mostly in the classroom using a blended learning model. Did students do any of the video watching at home? Do they have the resources to watch videos at home?
-Are students sharing their investigations outside of the classroom? Do you have a class blog? I am working on the blog idea myself.
-Are your students on break now like so many students in India?
Hi Rosalind,
DeleteMy school handles setting up all accounts for students. Parents sign a release so that we have permission to give them access to any school permitted sites. Of course teachers and admin have acces and admin rights.
Students didn't do any video watching at home as of yet. I am hoping that this will be next steps. I honestly am wondering if that should have been where I should have started, but feel certain it is where I will go next.
As of yet the only sharing I am doing is via my class facebook page and weekly video newsletters. I really wanted to get blogs set us this year and as of yet... haven't achieved this goal.
My students aren't on break. In fact we are SO busy right now. Our students go until June 13th!!! I'm headed back to the states after that attending PTC in Miami. Then off to ISTE in PA.
Greetings, Tiffany!
ReplyDeleteI like/I wonder/I wish...
I like your positive attitude, Tiffany. I have to be honest, I also teach early elementary students and haven't had quite the success you've had with true flipping. I found that, at least for me as a foreign language instructor, that a more blended approach was best for my classes.
I wonder about assessment. Since things were so successful, did you find that student engagement, retention, and overall progress was higher than in years prior? Have you assessed students yet and how do you access?
I wish I could be a fly on your wall. I'm interested to see how you went through this two-day lesson, step-by-step. I also wish that you could share you findings in a conference or workshop. There aren't many sessions that cater to flipping an early elementary classroom!
Oh Brandi, I flipped one lesson. I was really happy with the results of one lesson, but for what it took to get the one lesson ready. Preparing for more, or more often would take so much more. I am scared to death it would continue to be a one off. I'm okay with failure, but will continue researching other teachers who are doing this. I think if I were planning an entire unit I would have to use a more blended approach.
ReplyDeleteI did not use this as an assessment. If I had, I would be looking more at the finished product at this beginning stage as I haven't worked up the a more processed focused rubric or checklist.
This is my first year and last year in first grade! Therefore, this is the first time I have taught this unit, so I can't don't have any data to make a comparison. What I can say is compared to other units I have taught this year when doing the "tuning in" phase of the inquiry cycle students did seem more engaged as they started off so hands on and not just with me doing questioning.
Brandi... How amazing would it be to present PD on flipping!!! I'd be looking for a partner!!! Last year I presented to international schools at ASB Unplugged and I presented on using technology to assess early childhood. This year I am presenting at ISTE in PA on using a Distributive Tech Coaching Model! Next year.... you and me?? flipped or blended learning??
Hi Tiffany. I also am looking to create a new class using the flipped classroom/blended learning model. I found that it was a very broad task and very difficult to narrow down what my final problem of practice would be. I was wondering what resources you found to be most useful. I have joined the flipped learning network and John Bergmann and Aaron Sams were my muses for this class.
ReplyDeleteI also wonder how you feel about the flipped model with such a young audience. Do parents have the technology at home for them to get access to the curriculum? Are they self-motivated enough to watch those videos at home? I have these same concerns even for my older students who I know can operate the technology much better than I.
Hi Michelle,
DeleteHonestly this one lesson was fun and I enjoyed working on it. It was time consuming and I don't know how things would go next time... At my school parents and students all have internet access in their homes, at least one lap top and 2 or more mobile devices per family. We are lucky. When signing on to ASB they sign on to being a part of our 1-1 laptop program as well as BYOD - bring your own device. Parents pay outstanding fees to attend our school and therefore almost expect these videos to be sent home! In fact I am required to have a website set up to provide home learning resources. I use Netvibes as my platform. So, I assume that even when my first graders don't feel motivated to watch at home... their moms or dads are encouraging it!!